Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I am too opinionated. That is something I know I need to work on and I'm going to try harder.

I truly apologize if I have offended you because of my thoughtless sharing of opinions.

1 comment:

Katie Gruber said...

Sara - I read your original post this morning that I believe sparked this and I REALLY don't think you have anything to apologize for. Granted, this is coming from a very like-minded person, and I certainly appreciated the post and felt much solidarity with you.

I really hope you don't stop posting things like this if you truly believe them because it is your blog, and people have a choice whether they come to it and read it or not. You said this morning (sorry, it's still in my reader) that "I've learned to always be on edge. ready to defend what needs to be defended." You shouldn't have to be on edge when you're sharing on your blog.

Furthermore, your thoughts were spot on. Despite the advances that have been made, our culture, particularly in very religious communities (I'm not singling out LDS here) is still very close minded. One does not need to look any further than the treatment of the LGBT community for evidence of this, and for me this is one of the most infuriating characteristics of religion today. I think it's fascinating and eye-opening that you've experienced this in other ways firsthand, and I feel that your observations are valuable.

I hope it's OK that I posted this here and that I don't annoy you when I comment. I love it that you post every day :). I thought about emailing you instead, but I don't think I have your email.

Finally, I thought about posting this morning - my two favorite liberal quotes:

"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."
- Matt Santos, The West Wing

and

"I’m a liberal, so I probably dream bigger than you"
From here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/12/1025555/-Open-Letter-to-that-53-Guy