Saturday, October 1, 2011

General Conference Saturday!

Today was an all-around great day! i watched conference this morning in an empty house, so there weren't any distractions.

i LOVED the announcement of new temples! As soon as President Monson mentioned announcing new temples I secretly wondered 'what if they announced one in Wisconsin?!' it brought me to tears just thinking about how much of a blessing that would be. but alas, no luck. but a second one in provo?! how exciting is that!! Lynn had a good question, is that the only instance of two temples within the same city limits? let me know if you know.

I also, per usual, loved Elder Uchtdorfs talk. He always knows just what to say to me. I love it. Well really, i loved all the talks. but that one stood out to me.

I found out on thursday that I had the opportunity to attend the saturday afternoon session of General Conference live! and then this morning I found out we had an extra ticket. I tried to think of a date (or really just anyone to take) but any guy I would want to go with.. I didn't have their numbers. But that's okay, Liz came instead! and that was neat since she knows Sammi from the mish. I got to see Jodi, Sammi, Erin, Jeff, Loey, AND Mom and Dad Pleshek. PLUS the general authorities.

The Spirit really is so strong in the conference center. I loved it when we sang Praise to the Man for the intermediate hymn. I know my testimony of Joseph Smith was strengthened singing that song with the entire congregation. I know my General Conference questions are being answered, but I know tomorrow I need to focus on those questions even more. Elder Arderns talk on time really hit home to me, to the point that I was inspired to deactivate my facebook account. I knew it right then and there, I needed to. and now it's done.

I started feeling really sick during the second half of the second session. So I got really distracted and felt pretty miserable. But I survived. and I feel so blessed to be there.

3 years in a row I've been to the October General Conference. What a blessing! Last year was a really neat experience for me, that changed my outlook on being there. We were sitting a little ways from a couple that must've been from Africa somewhere (they were in native attire). And at one point I saw that tears were streaming down the faces of the man and woman. What an experience it must've been for them, to travel as far as they did, and to hear the words of the prophets in person. I realized being at General Conference is a dream that many people never have the opportunity to experience, I need to cherish every opportunity I have to go.

This evening I got to hang out with my sister, Ashlyn! She was on the hunt for some cute boots. We found some, but bought none. I was on the hunt for a necklace, I found some and bought two. We drove "all the way down" to Sandy, then down to Ikea. That trip reminded me of when Eric flew in to Portland and Lynn, Eric and I walked through Ikea 15 minutes before it closed. such a happy memory for me. We don't have that much time together anymore, so that was really meaningful.

After Ikea Ash and I stopped at Johnny Carinos for dinner. That was a good time! we talked about dating, and guys, and marriage. but mostly just dating. It was enlightening. I know things i need to try and work on, and things i need to know. We also had some delicious food. Then we picked up eric from work and headed home.

I am so excited for Conference tomorrow! What inspiration and guidance is in store for me tomorrow. One thing i do know: i need to keep my questions in mind during the talks and listen for the answers.

tomorrow is Sunday and I love sundays! family time. gospel time. Sundays are such a blessing. I hope you all can have a great sabbath tomorrow, and thank you to everyone who made this saturday so great.
Sammi, Me and Jodi in line to go into Conference. i love these girls!

Liz, Sammi and I after the session. 

we're cousins: can you tell by the eyes?

she's a blessing in the lives of everyone who knows her.

i love them!

1 comment:

Sammi said...

i love you! and i'm glad you were able to come with us! and i loved reading about your experience at general conference. oh, and i hope you're feeling better!! let me know if i can do anything for you. LOVE YOU!!