As I sit in my apartment and listen to the noon chimes blast, and a girl somewhere in the complex singing opera as loud as she can, I'm drinking my life sustaining substance of Diet Coke and pondering the purpose of this higher education that I'm getting. I made a list of everything I have to do by next Thursday (my last day of the semester), and the list is longer than a page of paper.
I know what I want to do with the rest of my life and I know how to do it. I've been doing it for at least seven years now, and if I do say so myself, I'm pretty dang good at it. I don't think I should need to waste all this money, getting an education I don't really need. Yes, I'm learning tons, but who says grades can prove the amount of knowledge someone gains in a set amount of time? I could buy the textbooks, or sit in on lectures and learn just as much information, with out spending hundreds of dollars on tuition, housing, food, gas, etc.
Alas, you are useless to society with out a degree. But just like everything else in this world, the educational degrees are getting inflated as well. What you could once do with a bachelors or even associates, you now need you Masters or even a Ph. D. to do. I find it bogus that I need to go to graduate school, to learn how to listen to teenagers talk about their problems. I'm sorry, last I checked, there are teenagers out there doing that exact same thing. And they don't even have a high school diploma!
*sigh* well, thank you for listening to my rant. If you did. If you didn't, I don't blame you. I wouldn't either.
No comments:
Post a Comment